Brewer seals England rugby deal
SUFFOLK brewer Greene King has signed a multi-million pound deal to become “Official Beer Sponsor” to the England rugby union team.The four-year agreement means that Greene King IPA - the country's top selling cask ale - will become a fixture at Twickenham stadium, with fans able to buy a pint from a dedicated Greene King IPA bar at the ground.
By Duncan Brodie
SUFFOLK brewer Greene King has signed a multi-million pound deal to become “Official Beer Sponsor” to the England rugby union team.
The four-year agreement means that Greene King IPA - the country's top selling cask ale - will become a fixture at Twickenham stadium, with fans able to buy a pint from a dedicated Greene King IPA bar at the ground.
In addition, Greene King's 524 pubs across East Anglia will be backing the England rugby team in the run-up to their defence of the World Cup as the official supporters' pubs.
You may also want to watch:
There will be promotions for drinkers to win tickets to see international matches at Twickenham, England Rugby merchandise, pints of Greene King IPA and even the chance to attend a training session with the England squad.
Justin Adams, managing director of Greene King Brewing Company, said: “Greene King IPA and the RFU are a perfect match.
- 1 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
“There has always been great synergy between rugby and real beer, as fans of rugby tend to appreciate quality ale.
“And as Greene King IPA is the nation's favourite real ale, it's fantastic that we can sponsor the nation's World Cup winning rugby team.
“We know many of our drinkers are avid rugby fans, and we're delighted that we have the opportunity to offer them special experiences to celebrate this sponsorship with us.
“There's nothing better than watching your country's team play while enjoying a great pint, and we intend to make it a memorable experience whether it's in their local Greene King pub or at the home of England Rugby.”
Paul Vaughan, business operations director for the Rugby Football Union, said: “We're excited to have Greene King IPA on board.
“It is a quality product and will be highly effective as a brand in the stadium.
“We're equally enthusiastic about the unique infrastructure Greene King brings with it to this sponsorship.
“The team at Greene King are experienced in deals of this kind, and with their pub estate they have a real point of difference as they can engage fully with rugby fans who aren't able to attend international games at Twickenham.”
The new deal is not Greene King's first association with English rugby, having previously signed a deal with former England captain Lawrence Dallaglio to promote its Abbot Ale brand.