Brightingsea: TV naturalist David Bellamy stokes enthusiasm for the wonders of the natural weekend during wildlife weekend
- Credit: Su Anderson
An internationally-renowned naturalist and television presenter took part in a weekend of wildlife excursions along the Essex coast helping to stoke local enthusiasm for the wonders of the natural world.
David Bellamy, the star of countless wildlife shows and the author of more than 45 books, led explorations around the wetlands of Brightlingsea on Saturday and Sunday accompanied by hundreds of avid fans.
Roger Tabor, the event’s organiser, who is also a well known television naturalist and author in his own right, said the weekend went “fantastically well”.
“David Bellamy thoroughly enjoyed himself,” he said. “He might be 81 years old but he is indomitable – he was throwing himself into everything and just absolutely loving it.
“He was enjoying himself so much that everyone around him picked up on the enthusiasm and we’ve had nothing but praise for the whole weekend.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bellamy and other respected naturalists guided participants around the region’s coastal grazing marshes, salt marshes and sea wall as well as other boat trips and bird-watching expeditions.
Mr Tabor, who is deputy of the Cinque Port Liberty of Brightlingsea and chairman of the British Naturalists’ Association, said the event aimed to make local people aware of the special habitats on their doorstep.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 7 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
“It was wonderful to be able to show people their own area and for them to realise what amazing things there are here,” he said.