BT plans wind farm in Suffolk village
COMMUNICATIONS giant BT has announced plans to build a wind farm in a picturesque Suffolk village.
The company has taken the first steps towards creating a six-turbine facility in Clare, near Sudbury as part of its Wind for Change programme, which is aimed at meeting a quarter of its electricity needs through on-shore wind power.
Peter McCarthy-Ward, BT’s regional director for the East of England, said: “BT is committed to increasing the amount of electricity it purchases from renewable sources and to safeguarding its own future power supplies.
“We are an environmentally and socially responsible company and will engage and consult local communities and other organisations throughout the planning process.
“We can confirm that land south of Chilton Street and to the north of the A1092 between Stoke by Clare and Clare has been identified as a potential location for a wind power development, comprising up to six wind turbines.
You may also want to watch:
“We are at an early stage in the process and will provide further information to the local community as things progress.
“Today marks the beginning of that process. To help assess the suitability of the site from a wind energy perspective, BT has submitted an anemometer mast planning application (often known as a “met mast”) to St. Edmundsbury Borough Council along with a scoping report outlining how the company would approach the process of carrying out the required environmental and community assessments before considering the submission of a formal wind turbine planning application.”
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- Buy tomorrow’s paper for the full story.
- What do you think? Let us know by leaving a comment below.