Nostalgia: Bugsy Malone, swimming, football and old fashioned fun feature in this week’s Throwback Thursday from 1997
- Credit: RICHARD SNASDELL
There was plenty going on around Ipswich back in February 1997 – with arts, sports and plain good old fashioned fun for all.
Our Throwback Thursday feature today shows families and friends invited to Stoke High School as students put on their finest suits and hats to play gangsters in Bugsy Malone.
At Landseer Park there was a cross country race with runners turning out in force to take on the challenge, while Suffolk schools went head to head near Portman Road stadium in a football tournament.
It was half-term, too, and there was a funfair with rides and stalls on the Cornhill and fun swimming sessions at Crown Pools.
No snow in evidence - but torrential rain caused some flooding on the roads.
You may also want to watch:
Were you in the Bugsy Malone show, or taking part in swimming or cross country? Do you recognise anyone in our gallery? To share your memories, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm