Builder dies after horror fall
By Ted JeoryA HEALTH and safety investigation has been launched after a teenage builder plunged to his death after losing his footing on the roof of a house.
By Ted Jeory
A HEALTH and safety investigation has been launched after a teenage builder plunged to his death after losing his footing on the roof of a house.
The 19-year-old man died in Colchester General Hospital just hours after the accident at a building site in Stanway yesterday afternoon.
The builder, who has not been named, but who comes from Colchester, had been working on the roof of a new house on the Persimmon Homes development in Winstree Road when he slipped and fell on to scaffolding a few metres below.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics and the Essex Air Ambulance were sent to the scene, while firefighters were also called to help reach the stricken builder, who was stuck in the scaffolding high off the ground.
Essex Ambulance Service operations manager, Terry Howell, said: “It appears that the man had been working on the roof when the accident happened.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 9 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 10 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
“When I arrived he was lying on scaffolding just below the roof level in a state of cardiac arrest.
“The crews pulled out all the stops and we worked on him for almost 45 minutes before he was flown to Colchester General Hospital, but unfortunately he died a short time later.”
A spokesman for Essex Police added: “He slipped down the roof and collided with some scaffolding which was at gutter level.
“The Health and Safety Executive has been called in to investigate. A post-mortem examination will be held and the report will be passed to the coroner.”