Clacton-on-Sea bungalow destroyed after faulty fridge sparks fire
- Credit: Archant
A bungalow with no working smoke alarms has tonight been “completely destroyed” by fire in an Essex seaside town.
Firefighters were called to London Road, Clacton-on-Sea shortly after 5.10pm and on arrival found the property engulfed in flames.
Crews had to tackle the blaze externally due to difficult access.
The bungalow was empty when the fire broke out and no-one was injured, a brigade spokesman said.
Watch manager Andy Marshall, from Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire was believed to have been started accidently by an electrical fault in a second hand fridge.
You may also want to watch:
The warm weather may have played a part in the fridge fault, Mr Marshall added.
The fire was extinguished by 6.25pm.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
Mr Marshall said: “The property had no working smoke alarms, and because the homeowner was not in at the time, the fire was not discovered until it had taken hold and already spread across the property.
“The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, and at this point we think it was due to an electrical fault with a recently purchased second hand fridge.
“Warm weather like today will have made this item work harder than usual, and a fault may then have caused it to catch fire.
“Whenever you buy any electrical item it is always important to be as sure as you can that it’s in good working condition.
“Regardless of the warranty, where you bought it, or when you bought it, it’s important you register your appliance - this way you can stay up to day on any safety messages or recalls.”
Two crews from Clacton-on-Sea and one from Weeley attended.
The fire service spokesman said the property had been “completely destroyed”.
In light on this incident, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people that smoke alarms can save lives.
To ask the brigade to fit a smoke alarm free of charge, call 0300 303 0088 or book online at www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book