Burglar jailed for stealing cigarettes
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who stole hundreds of cigarettes from a Woodbridge convenience store has been jailed.
Richard West forced his way into McColl’s in The Thoroughfare in November 2017 through a window and stole £2,000 worth of cigarettes from a display case after battering his way through a plasterboard wall, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Following the burglary West’s car was stopped by police on the A14 near Newmarket and officers seized a large quantity of cigarettes in the boot.
He was subsequently linked to the burglary by his DNA, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.
West, 44, who is currently serving 22 months for seven other burglaries, admitted the McColl’s burglary and was given a four month prison term to run concurrently with his current sentence.
You may also want to watch:
West, who chose not to be legally represented, told the court he had committed the burglary to fund his drug habit.
He said he had been drug free for a number of years but had relapsed after his marriage fell apart.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 10 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast