Event celebrates Bury St Edmunds care home gardeners
- Credit: Archant
An event to celebrate green-fingered enthusiasts in care homes in Bury St Edmunds was held last week.
The Senior Green Fingers celebration was held on Tuesday, August 7, at St Peter’s House nursing home in Bury, with Cornwallis Court, in Hospital Road, being crowned as overall winners.
The contest, run by the town’s horticultural organisation Bury in Bloom, is open to nursing, care and residential homes as well as day care centres in Bury St Edmunds.
Susan Dunne, senior green fingers judge, said: “We were delighted to see the enthusiasm and engagement of residents and clients in the gardens of all those that entered the senior green fingers competition this year.
“The standard of the gardens have improved since last year despite the drought. It would be lovely if more nursing and residential homes entered the competition in 2019.”
You may also want to watch:
Melanie Lesser, Bury in Bloom coordinator, said: “Bury in Bloom are very grateful to our volunteer judges who visited all the gardens. We would also like to thank St Peter’s House for hosting the celebration tea.”
The award winners were as follows:
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 9 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Best hanging baskets and tubs - St. Peter’s House
Best general appearance - Manson House
Best resident involvement - Stradbroke Court
Best use of resources and community involvement - Gatehouse Dementia Hub
Best creative development - Cornwallis Court
Overall winner - Cornwallis Court