Bury in FA Cup dreamland

BURY Town are in dreamland tonight after causing a sensational FA Cup upset by beating higher league Basingstoke Town 4-1 this afternoon.

Bury Town 4, Basingstoke 1

BURY Town are in dreamland tonight after causing a sensational FA Cup upset by beating higher league Basingstoke Town 4-1 this afternoon.

The incredible win puts Bury into Monday's draw for the first round proper of the famous competition for just the second time in the club's history.

They could now face a league club in the first round, with big names like Leicester City and Leeds United among their possible opponents - ties which would bring a massive cash boost to the club.

Jubilant boss Richard Wilkins described the victory as the greatest moment in his managerial career and paid tribute to players, staff and supporters after 1,100 packed into the Ram Meadow ground.

He said: “This is a fantastic feeling and the support we had from the fans was great.

Most Read

“There has been a lot of hard work done behind the scenes.

“The chairman has given us a budget so we could bring in one or two more players.

“With a business head, it would be great to get someone like Leeds in the next round but a home match against someone in Division Two would also be a great day.”

Sam Reed was the brightest star in a fantastic team display scoring two goals - one in the first minute to give Bury a dream start and an unstoppable 25-yard effort just before the break.

Speaking after the game, Reed said: “I am just absolutely buzzing.

“When we play like that and everyone is on their game, we are a match for any team at this level.

“I hadn't scored for six games but I knew they would come eventually and it was just great that it happened today.”

Basingstoke ended the match with nine men after having two sent off in what turned out to be a nightmare afternoon for the visitors.

Within one minute, Bury dared to believe that the dream of a giant killing in the world's most famous cup competition could be on the cards after Reed took advantage of a terrible error from Basingstoke's keeper Ross Kitteridge to head home into an empty net.

The visitors drew level when a free kick from Matthew Warner was deflected past the unfortunate Marcus Garnham in the Bury goal.

But before half time, Bury's misfortune had turned to double joy when they scored twice to make it 3-1 going into the interval.

Captain Tom Bullard gave the hosts the lead for the second time when his shot somehow squirmed under Kitteridge's body before Reed netted with an unstoppable drive from 25 yards out.

The match was all but over in the second half when Liam Barrett broke clear but was fouled by Kitteridge who was shown a second yellow card and sent off.

Lee Smith dispatched the penalty with aplomb and Bury's dreams of the first round proper of the FA Cup had turned to reality. There was still time for Reed to be denied a hat trick by the woodwork on three occasions and for Jason Bristow, the Basingstoke captain, to be sent off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter