Bury St Edmunds: Beowulf arrives at West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of visitors to West Stow were enthralled by gripping tales from the Anglo-Saxon saga, Beowulf and the Monsters.
Re-enactment group, Wulfingas, returned to West Stow’s Anglo-Saxon village and Country Park near Bury St Edmunds at the weekend to stage a number of costumed performances of two plays from Beowulf. They also demonstrated 5th and 6th Century games and crafts such as weaving.
Chris Gregory, heritage officer at West Stow, said the group always proved popular with visitors of all ages.
He added: “We get a lot of good feedback after the performances and it definitely increases visitor numbers because people like to see re-enactments, and the houses in the village occupied. It helps to bring everything to life.
“We will have events on all through the summer holidays starting with our Lord of the Rings themed family adventure, Ring Quest.”
You may also want to watch:
Visitors to the event this weekend will be tasked with finding clues, solving riddles and helping to save Middle Earth.
Ring Quest is open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. Call 01284 728718 for details.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 3 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 4 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 8 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 9 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 10 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win