Bury St Edmunds: Bury in Bloom campaign manager Julia Rackowe steps down
THE WOMAN who has helped put Bury St Edmunds on the map for its beautiful blooms and greenfingered projects has stepped down from the role after nine years.
Julia Rackowe, who has been campaign manager for Bury in Bloom over that time, has decided to move on to new challenges, which may include a position as an Anglia in Bloom judge.
Simon Pott, Bury in Bloom chairman, said Ms Rackowe had done a “splendid job” over the nine years, during which the horticultural group has attracted a number of Anglia in Bloom and Britain in Bloom awards.
Mr Pott said: “Julia will not be easy to replace but we start the process immediately in order that we have somebody in place for 2013. And we will be looking for somebody who has the same skills, enthusiasm and drive shown over this long period which has resulted in such consistent success for Bury St Edmunds.”
Ms Rackowe said she was really “proud” of the change in the campaign since she joined in 2003/4 - it now involving lots of elements of the community. “And Bury is more beautiful than it ever was, really,” she added.
She said her most memorable moments as campaign manager included the two finalist nominations for Britain in Bloom in 2007 and 2010 and winning the best large town in Great Britain accolade in 2007. “But also for me personally it’s been the people I have worked with. Such lovely people I would never have normally met without an involvement in Bury in Bloom.”
Ms Rackowe said stepping down had been a difficult decision, but she was happy to be leaving the campaign on a sound footing. Her new challenges may include a couple of board positions, but she added: “Let’s see what challenges there are to come.”
- 1 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 4 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 5 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 6 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 7 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 8 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
- 9 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 10 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
Anyone interested in the campaign manager position should contact Mr Pott on firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01284 763521.