Bury St Edmunds: Cathedral leads the way for cycle church tour
- Credit: Archant
St Edmundsbury Cathedral is leading the way in helping to create a cycle tour between Suffolk’s historic churches.
Partnering with cycling charity Sustrans, the Suffolk route is the first of several Towers and Spires tours to be published.
The idea comes from ChurchCare, which supports those looking after the Church of England’s 16,000 churches and 42 Cathedrals.
Supported by the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich and Suffolk County Council, the trail takes in 11 of the county’s churches, including Woolpit St Mary and St Ethelbert in Hessett, on a 30-mile route, starting and finishing at St Edmundsbury Cathedral.
The Right Reverend David Thomson, Acting Bishop of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, said: “This is a great idea and it’s great too that Suffolk is leading the way on this national scheme to set up cycle routes to link our magnificent cathedrals with the wonderful churches that are such a special feature of our countryside.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme will be rolling out across the country in a bid raise awareness of the nations many historic churches. Sub Dean of St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Rev Canon Matthew Vernon said: “Cycling is a great way to see the beautiful county of Suffolk.”
Marion Welham, Church Heritage and Tourism Officer at the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, said: “I am thrilled that more and more of our churches are now open every day to welcome visitors and tourists.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 8 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-1 victory over Fleetwood
- 10 Plans for Scandinavian-inspired holiday chalets in Suffolk
The tour map is available at www.churchofengland.org