‘Devoid of ambition’ – Calls to start Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre from scratch
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Recommendations for the future of Bury St Edmunds’ Christmas Fayre have been slammed as “devoid of ambition” – with calls made to start 2020’s event from scratch.
A summer task force assessing the future of the fayre reported its findings in a report to St Edmundsbury and Forest Heath councils’ scrutiny committees this week.
It also proposed containing food stalls in one area and rotating stalls annually.
But at St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s scrutiny on Wednesday, councillors gave a scathing assessment of the plans.
Richard Rout said: “Broadly I find it devoid of ambition.
You may also want to watch:
“We are taking all our best stalls and putting them in one place, which actually is a large health and safety risk and some of the other stalls rely on the footfall from browsing.”
Councillors said the whole of the town’s Christmas offering needed to be reviewed and joined up to create a “Christmas in Bury” experience, rather than just a four-day fayre.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
Paul Hopfensperger has been involved in the fayre for more than 15 years, having previously worked with the town council.
He said a wholesale review needed to take place with businesses, town councils and tourism bodies, to develop an event more in line with European Christmas markets.
“I don’t support this decision because I think we still go it wrong,” he said.
“It’s good that everyone enjoys it but they don’t know any different [from what has been in previous years].”
The committee backed the proposals subject to an annual review in order to allow an event to go ahead, but called for a thorough review next year which could establish it from scratch.
The joint executive of both councils will decide whether to back the recommendations, as well as a three year action plan when it meets at the end of the month.
Diane Hind, committee chairman, said there had been disagreements over whether the fayre should be four days or more.
But the task force had tried to come up with recommendations which reflected the broad appeal, she added.
New for 2018 are the Haart community stage in the Abbey Gardens, toy making workshops at the Guildhall and the Elves Wonderland in St John’s Street.