College director becomes honorary commander at RAF Mildenhall
- Credit: Archant
An executive director at West Suffolk College has spoken of his pride after being named its first ever honorary commander.
Gary Jefferson was recognised during a recent ceremony at RAF Mildenhall, where he also experienced the thrill of flying in one of the United States Air Force (USAF) base’s KC-135 Stratotankers and witnessed a mid-air refuelling exercise.
“It is a privilege to become an honorary commander at RAF Mildenhall,” said Mr Jefferson, who is executive director for curriculum at the Bury St Edmunds-based college.
“Coming from an engineering background, it was amazing to take part in an ‘experience day’ at RAF Mildenhall and witness mid-air refuelling.”
The position of honorary commanders comes as part of the base’s continued programme of engaging with the local community by bringing together dignitaries and leaders.
You may also want to watch:
In particular, Mr Jefferson’s honorary position is assigned to the 100th Air Refuelling Wing and will see him represent the college at forthcoming USAF events.
- 1 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 2 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star