Bury St Edmunds: College unveils �6m redevelopment plan
A new landmark building is to become the “face” of West Suffolk College as part of multi-million-pound redevelopment plans.
The college has embarked on talks with the public about its �6million regeneration scheme.
A previous scheme for the Bury St Edmunds college had to be abandoned after the Learning and Skills Council rescinded its pledge of more than �50million.
As a result, the college went back to the drawing board. It has now unveiled a far more modest �6m scheme.
The plans include the demolition of Burma House, the former Rendezvous youth club, which is currently empty.
You may also want to watch:
This single-storey building will be replaced with an impressive three-storey building which will provide dedicated facilities for 16 to 18-year-old further education students.
The new building will replace Suffolk House as the ‘public face’ of the college.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 4 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 5 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 6 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 7 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 8 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 9 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 10 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
Suffolk House, which dates back to 1969, will be refurbished and rebranded as the home of University Campus Suffolk Bury St Edmunds.
West Suffolk College vice-principal Martyn Wagner said: “This is the first phase of our revised masterplan.
“The proposals will bring major benefits not only to students, but also to local residents.
“We hope that individuals will come along and take this opportunity to have their say on the future development of the site.”
The plans will be on display for the next three and a half weeks from 9am until 5pm on Mondays to Thursdays and until 4pm on Fridays at the main college site.