Bury St Edmunds: Councillors to decide on Glastonbury Court care home plans
A residents’ group still feel plans for a new 80-bed care home and wellbeing centre - which will be decided upon next week - do not include enough car parking spaces.
Care UK has been working in partnership with Suffolk County Council to replace the care home at Glastonbury Court in Bury St Edmunds with a new, improved facility.
On Thursday a St Edmundsbury Borough Council committee will decide whether the plans will go ahead.
The Horringer Court Residents’ Association has had issues with some elements of the proposal, including the number of car parking spaces. While the number has been increased from 29 to 34, Philip Jude, vice chairman of the association, says there should be 42 - which is the maximum requirement according to county council recommendations.
But the officers’ report said: “This level of car parking provision falls within the authority’s maximum standards and is considered appropriate for the nature of the proposed use.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jude, who is behind a petition of 142 signatures calling for more spaces, said there would “inevitably” be increased pressure on neighbouring streets if the plans went ahead.
Chris Hopkinson, Care UK regional operations director, said they were “entirely confident” the 34 car parking spaces would be appropriate, without leading to pressures to park on surrounding roads or in the car park which serves the shops.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
“No residents will own cars, visitor trips to care homes are infrequent and the majority of spaces are therefore required for the care home team.”