Bury St Edmunds: Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards calls for businesses to support rising sports stars
- Credit: Archant
Inspirational and iconic sportsman Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards, landed in Bury St Edmunds today and made a passionate plea for businesses to support Suffolk’s budding sports stars of the future.
The world famous British ski jumper was guest of honour at a lunch organised by the county’s SportsAid Foundation, held at the Suffolk Golf and Spa Hotel.
And he handed over a cheque for £500 from the organisation to 14-year-old basketball player Ashleigh Pink, from Sudbury, a member of the Ipswich Bobcats, who has risen to represent her country at Under 15 level.
He told over 100 guests how he battled to overcome the odds to take part in his beloved sport of ski jumping despite setbacks and a lack of funding, often having to sleep rough either in his car or even a cow shed.
The 49-year-old, a legendary icon of British sport who captured the hearts of the nation with his courage at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympic Games, said: “Just getting to the Olympics was my medal and we need to raise much needed funds for our young atheletes so they do not have to go through what I had to and it is fantastic if businesses and individuals can help in any way and I urge them to get involved.”
You may also want to watch:
He was speaking at the SportsAid lunch club, which was set up by businesses Abbeycroft Leisure, IRS Risk Management and Insurance, Lovewell Blake and Sicon, with the support of Suffolk Golf and Spa Hotel and Mark Day, the seniors’ captain at the golf club.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results