Bury St Edmunds: Firefighters prepare for challenge in aid of two charities
TWO FIREFIGHTERS will be battling with the heat in a daunting fundraising challenge.
They may be used to contending with burning buildings, but never before have David Starie and Paul Shattock – who are based at Bury St Edmunds Fire Station – attempted a gruelling walk/run in full fire kit with breathing apparatus.
Mr Starie is a former Common-wealth and British boxing super-middleweight champion who has fought Joe Calzaghe. He said the real challenge was wearing the kits, as their body heat would not be able to escape.
The 53-mile walk – which may involve running – on October 20 will take them from Newmarket Fire Station to Felixstowe Fire Station to raise funds and increase awareness of the Fire Fighters Charity and Arthritis Research UK.
Mr Shattock – who came up with the idea for the challenge – said the reason they wanted to support Arthritis Research UK is because the young daughter of a friend of his suffers from the condition.
You may also want to watch:
The former Royal Marine Commando said: “We all think of it as a condition affecting the elderly rather than young people, and anything to do with children tugs on your heartstrings, doesn’t it?”
Bury residents may have spotted Mr Starie, 38, and Mr Shattock, 37, walking around the town in their fire kit during training. Mr Starie said in training they have lost one litre of sweat each per hour.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 6 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 9 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
He said: “Last year we ran four marathons in four days [the Great Barrow Challenge]. I know from training for this, this is going to be much harder.” To donate visit www.justgiving.com/teams/Hot2Trot