Bury St Edmunds: Firefighters rescue beloved hamster from smoke-filled home
A TEN-YEAR-OLD boy has been reunited with his pet hamster after she was rescued from their smoke-logged home by firefighters.
Barbara the hamster was carried to safety by fire crews after a pan started smoking in her home in Anderson Walk, Bury St Edmunds, while her owners were out.
Owner Roman Lagowski, 38, said his wife, Ewa, 37, had left some meat cooking on the hob while the couple went to play football with their son, Mikolaj, 10, on the green near their home at about 7.25pm on Wednesday.
A short time later, the family got a call from a neighbour to say fire crews were inside their house. Two fire engines from Bury were called after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding for about 20 minutes.
“I nearly had a heart attack,” Roman said. “We got back home as soon as we could.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters had broken down a door to get into the empty home then carried out a search.
Instead of finding casualties, a caring firefighter found Barbara and carried her to safety in a neighbour’s house.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
Mikolaj, Barbara’s owner, said: “She was a very brave hamster. When she came back from the neighbour’s she seemed anxious but she went in her wheel.”