Bury St Edmunds/ Framlingham: 22-year-old admits supplying drug to man who died

Man spared jail in suspected overdose case

Man spared jail in suspected overdose case - Credit: Archant

A 22-year-old has admitted supplying a Class A drug to a man who died in a Framlingham flat as a result of suspected substance misuse.

Christopher Wenham-Gibbs, of Tayfen Road, Bury St Edmunds, is due to be sentenced during the three weeks commencing November 11.

Wenham-Gibbs has pleaded guilty to supplying a substance called Oramorph to Steven Clow.

Mr Clow was found dead at his flat in Garrards Court in Fore Street, Framlingham.

It is understood Oramorph may have been only one of the substances involved in the 37-year-old’s death.

Wenham-Gibbs entered his guilty plea at a preliminary hearing before Ipswich Crown Court.

He has been released on bail until his sentencing.

Most Read

Wenham-Gibbs, was arrested shortly after Mr Clow’s body was discovered.

He was taken to the police investigation centre at Suffolk Constabulary’s Martlesham headquarters for questioning, before being released while the inquiry continued.

Wenham-Gibbs was charged when he answered his bail in September.

After making his first appearance on the accusation before North East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Lowestoft on October 1 the case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court.

Oramorph is an oral solution containing morphine sulphate, an opioid painkiller, normally used to treat severe pain.

It is often used as medication for cancer patients or those suffering pain from a severe injury.

Mr Clow’s heart was said to have stopped after he collapsed at his home.

Paramedics were called just after 6.30am on May 29 and found Mr Clow in cardiac arrest.

A volunteer doctor from the Suffolk Accident Rescue Service (SARS) charity was also sent to assist East of England Ambulance NHS Trust crews.

However, despite prolonged resuscitation attempts Mr Clow was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police and the coroner’s office were called just before 7am.

An inquest is still to take place to determine the specific circumstances surrounding Mr Clow’s death.