Bury St Edmunds: Gang ‘fractured father’s skull in street attack’

A MAN suffered a fractured skull when he was set upon and robbed by a gang of youths in Bury St Edmunds town centre, it has been alleged.

Trevor Brinkley had been out for a drink with his 18-year-old daughter Catherine and was walking her home when the alleged attack took place, Ipswich Crown Court was told.

The couple had left The Grapes public house and walked through an alleyway when they saw a group of four or five youths approaching them, said Gerard Pounder, prosecuting.

The group started swearing and being abusive and when Mr Brinkley told them to go away his daughter was allegedly hit in the face.

Mr Brinkley asked: “What on earth do you think you are doing?”

You may also want to watch:

The group had then allegedly turned on him and he was punched to the ground.

Mr Brinkley was then allegedly repeatedly kicked and he lost consciousness, said Mr Pounder.

Most Read

When he came round he found his jacket pockets had been ripped and some loose money and his mobile phone were missing.

He was later found to have a fractured skull in the area of his forehead and his daughter suffered a cut to her mouth.

Before the court are Ryan Oyeyemi, 19, of Northumberland Avenue, Bury St Edmunds, and two 18-year-old men who cannot be named for legal reasons.

All three have denied wounding Mr Brinkley with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm on October 4 last year and robbing him.

They have also denied robbing Oliver Thompson on April 30 and possessing a spray as an offensive weapon.

Oyeyemi and one of the 18-year-old defendants have also denied robbing Adam Driver of tobacco on April 2 and assaulting him causing him actual bodily harm.

The same 18-year-old has also denied assaulting Catherine Brinkley causing her actual bodily harm.

Mr Pounder said Adam Driver had been on his way to meet a friend at a kebab shop in Bury St Edmunds in the early hours of April 2 when he was approached by a group of males and allegedly knocked to the ground and kicked before being robbed of his tobacco. Several weeks later, on April 30, Oliver Thompson had allegedly been attacked with a spray that burned his eyes before being robbed of money.

The trial continues today.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus