Bury St Edmunds: Hospital’s new-look £240k breast unit opens
- Credit: Archant
A newly completed £240,000 project at West Suffolk Hospital will enable breast patients to access assessment, imaging and diagnostic services in a single location.
The new integrated breast unit, designed to improve the experience of patients undergoing investigations for cancer, has been funded with a generous legacy left to the Friends of West Suffolk Hospital.
Previously, the breast service was split between two different hospital departments, with patients attending outpatients for clinical assessments and the imaging department for ultrasounds or mammograms.
Andrea Pryor, clinical services manager for breast care, pictured, said: “Moving both assessment and tests into one place will save time as well as reducing the need for patients to keep changing in and out of hospital gowns. It also makes it much easier for our doctors and nurses to share information.”
As part of the project, a new waiting area and four clinic rooms have been created along with one quiet room, which gives patients who have just been diagnosed a chance to spend time in private with the breast care nurses.
You may also want to watch:
Eamonn Coveney, consultant breast surgeon, added: “The unit will allow us to offer a more comfortable, convenient service which provides greater levels of privacy. It has also allowed us to free up around four outpatient clinic rooms for use by other specialities.”
Friends chairman Grant Greetham said the group was delighted to be able to support the project and help improve patients’ experiences at such a difficult time in their lives.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
Anyone interested in joining or supporting the friends’ group can call voluntary services on 01284 713206.