Bury St Edmunds: Housing group evict woman, 22, after multiple complaints from neighbours
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old woman has been evicted from her affordable home after a police raid and a series of complaints from neighbours.
Havebury Housing Partnership, who owns the property, said three evictions took place last year and that they are a “clear message” to other new tenants that poor behaviour will not be tolerated.
In the most recent case, the woman, who has not been named, moved into the Bury St Edmunds flat in July 2012. Suffolk police carried out a search of the address in mid November and found a quantity of cash, drugs and equipment associated with the sale of drugs. The items were seized and three people were arrested.
A spokesman for Havebury, which is a not-for-profit association, said, although no prosecution followed, an ‘anti-social behaviour injunction’ was made to prevent two people returning to the address.
But, after mounting complaints in the months that followed, the tenant was evicted from the flat in early April following a court hearing.
Peter Dunsdon, anti-social behaviour and tenancy Co-ordinator at Havebury, said: “We take breaches of tenancy and anti-social behaviour very seriously and we work closely with the police so that we can respond quickly to any incidents. This case also shows the effectiveness of using starter tenancies and sends a clear message to other new tenants that poor behaviour will not be tolerated and could lead to their eviction.”
Last year, 117 incidents of anti-social behaviour were dealt with by Havebury’s anti-social behaviour team.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 3 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 4 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
Nine were subject to anti-social behaviour injunctions and three resulted in the tenant’s eviction.