Bury St Edmunds: Man admits burglary at flat where jeweller Peter Avis was murdered
A MAN who pleaded not guilty to murdering Bury St Edmunds jeweller Peter Avis has admitted an offence of burglary at the flat above his shop.
Kamil Kita, 20, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to burglary at the flat above Collis and Son in Abbeygate Street, Bury St Edmunds on January 13 and stealing a quantity of jewellery when he appeared at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday.
At an earlier hearing Kita denied murdering 66-year-old Mr Avis but after he admitted burglary yesterday prosecution counsel Peter Gair said he wouldn’t seek a trial on the murder charge.
Also before the court yesterday was Pawel Pacian, 34, of Lake Avenue, Bury St Edmunds who admitted handling jewellery, silverware and other items belonging to Mr Avis on January 13 knowing they were stolen goods.
On an earlier occasion a third defendant, Ireneusz Melanuik, 28, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to murdering Mr Avis on January 12 or 13 and stealing jewellery during a burglary at Mr Avis’s flat.
You may also want to watch:
Two remaining defendants Aleksandra Karpiuk, 27, of Lake Avenue, Bury and Pawel Borowiecki, 32, of Roslyn Road, London have denied conspiracy to burgle a building in Abbeygate Street and they are due to go on trial at Ipswich Crown Court on September 24.
The body of 66-year-old Mr Avis was found in his flat above his shop on January 13.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
A post mortem examination revealed he died as a result of stab wounds.