Bury St Edmunds: Man arrested after fire in flats stairwell
- Credit: Archant
A man was arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire in a stairwell of flats at Stamford Court in Bury St Edmunds shortly before midnight on Saturday.
Crews from the town’s fire station were called to the blaze in a motorcycle that was stored in the first floor stairwell of the flats.
One person was rescued from a flat by firefighters, but it is understood they were not hurt and the three crews were able to return to the Bury St Edmunds’ fire station within two hours.
Police have arrested a 40-year-old man following the fire in the flats above a row of shops.
Fires had been started in the ground floor stairwell and on the first floor balcony, causing residents of two flats to be evacuated.
You may also want to watch:
The man was arrested on suspicion of arson shortly after midnight.
He was taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre where he was being questioned on Sunday.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 7 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Plans for Scandinavian-inspired holiday chalets in Suffolk
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-1 victory over Fleetwood
Police officers have remained at the scene during the morning while a fire investigation got underway.