Bury St Edmunds: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following Raynham Road attack
THE BRUTAL attack of a man in his home - following which someone has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder - has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Yesterday, it emerged that a 48-year-old man from Bury St Edmunds had been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a 30-year-old man suffered serious head injuries at his home in Raynham Road in the town on Tuesday night.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said the incident had been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) as the victim had contacted police prior to it happening.
This comes after an IPCC investigation found the force should have sent an officer at the “earliest available opportunity” to the home of Mary Griffiths, who was murdered by John McFarlane.
The mother, from Bury St Edmunds, had made a non-emergency call to police hours before she was shot with a bolt gun to report McFarlane was harassing her.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking yesterday, the police spokesman said: “Police were contacted shortly before 10pm on Tuesday, March 8, following reports of a disturbance at a house on Raynham Road.
“Officers arrived and found a 30-year-old man with serious head injuries. He was conveyed to West Suffolk Hospital [in Bury St Edmunds] where he is currently in a stable condition.
- 1 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 2 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 3 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 4 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 7 A12 closed as man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 9 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 10 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
“A 48-year-old man from the town was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and is currently being questioned by detectives at Bury St Edmunds Police Station.
“This incident has been referred to the IPCC due to previous police contact.”
The spokesman said the victim had made contact with police prior to calling shortly before 10pm.
He said no further details could be provided at this stage on the previous contact.
He said the referral to the IPCC was made by police.
A spokesman from the IPCC said with referrals there would be an initial assessment first to see whether the IPCC would need to carry out a formal investigation.