Bury St Edmunds: Man found dead after 40ft plunge
- Credit: Archant
POLICE and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating after a man died following a 40ft fall.
Emergency services were called to Paul Malts Ltd in Eastern Way, Bury St Edmunds, on the morning of Wednesday, February 13.
It has been reported that the 57-year-old man, who has not been named, was working at the industrial unit when he fell off a walkway.
Although the incident was treated as an industrial accident, it is believed that the man might have been ill prior to the fall.
A post-mortem examination was due to be carried out yesterday.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) confirmed that it had been called to an incident at the premises at 9.19am on February 13.
He said that a man with “traumatic” injuries was found at the scene.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 3 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 5 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 6 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 7 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 9 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
- 10 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
Although air ambulance and a rapid response vehicle were called to the address, no one was transported to hospital, the spokesman said.
A police spokeswoman said that Suffolk Constabulary was called by EEAST, who said that the man had fallen about 40ft.
A spokesman for the HSE confirmed that it was carrying out a joint investigation, led by the police.
He added: “It is a joint investigation with police and inspectors have visited the site.
“Police retain primacy at this point.”
Pauls Malt Ltd, which operates as a subsidiary of Boortmalt, produces and supplies malt products to breweries and distilleries.
A spokesman for Paul Malts Ltd was yesterday unavailable for comment.
n Did you know the man? Call 01284 727411 or email to leave a tribute.