Bury St Edmunds: Nowton Park ranger in peaks ride bid
A PARK ranger will not only be climbing three mountains, but will be cycling the 683 miles between them to raise money for charity in memory of a dear friend.
Dwaine Gray, who is a ranger based at Nowton Park in Bury St Edmunds, only has two weeks to go before he embarks on the challenge which will take more than a week to complete.
The 48-year-old is tackling the three peaks – Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon – as well as cycling between them, starting at Ben Nevis and finishing at Snowdon. The fundraiser, which is in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, is in memory of Glyn Hinde, who died in January after suffering from cancer.
Mr Gray, who is a father-of-two, went to college with Mr Hinde’s wife Sally in the 1980s and had known him for 25-30 years. Mrs Hinde, from Bury in Lancashire, has been helping to organise the challenge. She, as well as Mr Gray’s sons Joe and Sam, his partner Louise and friends, will be coming on the trip, with some joining in with some of the climbs.
Mr Gray said: “Well, myself and a couple of friends have been doing cycling and kayaking and different sorts of holidays in the past. When my friend Glyn died in January I just thought it would be nice to do something with a nod to him and raise some money for Macmillan so the idea of climbing three peaks and cycling between just sort of came to me really.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Gray is hoping to raise �3,000. To donate visit http://www.justgiving.com/Two-Wheels-Three-Peaks-Dwaine-Gray
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 10 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions