Bury St Edmunds: Police believe local man working alone is behind a spate of walk-in burglaries
- Credit: Eastern Counties Newspapers
A local thief acting alone is believed to be behind a wave of walk-in burglaries in Bury St Edmunds after another spate of incidents.
A total of 13 properties in the town have now fallen victim to the culprit, who has repeatedly gained entry via doors and windows left open in the hot weather.
Detective Inspector Nick Power, who is leading the investigation, said patrols had been stepped up around the Howard and Priors estates in a bid to catch the burglar red-handed.
“Forensically we haven’t got much to go on, so we have to get people onto the street and catch them in the act,” said DI Power.
“I would say because of the geographical area where this is being committed, you need to know the rat runs and what have you, the alleyways, to get from one place to another without being seen by police officers.
You may also want to watch:
“Having spoken to lots of criminals over the years, these types of individuals, the more people that are involved, there’s more chance you’re going to get loose lips.
“A lot of these offenders like to work by themselves - they commit the offence, and they don’t share that information with anybody.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 8 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 9 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
- 10 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
The latest burglaries took place overnight between Wednesday and Thursday.
In Westley Road, entry was gained to a house via an insecure window or door and a wallet was stolen from a bag in the hallway.
The second burglary occurred in Minden Drive, where a house was entered via an insecure rear patio door and a wallet was stolen along with more than £1,000 in cash.
All 13 incidents have happened within the past month, with items stolen including games consoles as well as handbags, wallets and cash.
While DI Power said patrols had been increased, it was “a massive area geographically” to try and police, and he called on the town’s criminal fraternity to report anyone who had recently become “flush with money”.
Despite issuing numerous warnings, police patrols are still continuing to find properties with insecure doors and windows.
He added: “We all get complacent. Unfortunately, we’re going to have a hot weekend this weekend, people are going to have a few shandies and it’s ‘right, lets got to bed’, and people forget about it.
“Last thing at night or early in the evening, don’t leave any window or door insecure.”
Anyone with information about these burglaries is asked to contact the Bury St Edmunds Priority Crime Team on 101 quoting reference BU/14/1822, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.