Bury St Edmunds primary school joins Samuel Ward Academy Trust
- Credit: Gregg Brown
A Bury St Edmunds primary school has become the latest to join a growing academy trust.
The newly-named Abbots Green Academy, based on Moreton Hall, became the 15th local primary school to join the Samuel Ward Academy Trust this week.
Ang Morrison, acting head at the school, said the move to academy status will bring “great opportunities” for staff and pupils.
“Staff and members of the Samuel Ward Academy Trust have been working hard to make this happen and we are grateful for the effort and ongoing commitment of everyone involved during this transition period,” she said.
“Joining SWAT brings with it great opportunities for everyone. Despite not officially being part of the trust, they have been extremely supportive over the last nine months and members of staff from Abbots Green have already benefited from a number of events and training sessions.
You may also want to watch:
“There will be further opportunities for staff to share training and best practice with colleagues within the trust and we look forward to continuing to provide the very best outcomes and opportunities for all children at Abbots Green.”
The Airfield Road school, formerly known as Abbots Green Community Primary School, opened 12 years ago and now caters for more than 450 children aged between three and 11-years-old.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
Paul Jay, chairman of governors, said: “We decided to join Samuel Ward Academy Trust because they shared similar values to the ones we hold at Abbots Green.
“They also offer great opportunities for staff to develop which in turn will further enhance the excellent education we can offer to our pupils.”
Tim Coulson, chief executive of Samuel Ward Academy Trust, said: “We are delighted to welcome Abbots Green Academy into our family of secondary, primary and special schools.
“Our trust is renowned for ensuring each member school retains its independence and character while offering a close working relationship with all to help achieve the very best for its pupils.”
Darren Woodward, director of primary education for Samuel Ward Academy Trust, said: “From our early involvement with Abbots Green Academy, it is clear they share the same values as all our schools and we are looking forward to working with staff, students, parents and governors going forward.”