Bury St Edmunds pub hosts guest ale in honour of local legend Corky who died last week
- Credit: Archant
The people of Bury St Edmunds have paid an emotional tribute to a “legend” of the town who died last week.
Father and grandfather Richard Mansfield, known to most people as Corky, was a regular at The Grapes pub and a former chef at a town centre cafe.
He died on Friday April 22 at Risby Hall Nursing Home, with friends and fellow pubgoers flooding social media sites in tribute to the “gentle giant”.
Corky’s home from home was The Grapes pub, on Risbygate Street, which is now selling Corky Best guest ale in his honour.
Louise Skinner, pub general manager, said: “In remembrance of local legend Corky, we are hosting a guest ale in our pub, ‘Corky Best’.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a friend to the pub team and our customers and will be missed within the community.”
Fellow Grapes regular Clifford Wayland said: “He still owes me a fiver, I can tell you that much. I bought a video from him – well I gave him the money and never got the video.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
“I have known him 30-odd years. He was covered in tattoos so some pubs did not like the look of him, but he was always welcome at The Grapes. He was a gentle giant, he had the image but he was always kind to everyone he met.”
If you have any memories of Corky or photos you wish to share, please email Matt Reason or phone 01284 727411