Bury St Edmunds: Simply the Breast exhibition launches to raise cancer awareness
- Credit: Archant
A series of casts of women’s breasts have gone on display as part of Breast Cancer Awareness month.
The Simply the Breast exhibition is made up of 23 casts made by women affected by breast cancer, including some who have had mastectomies, or their family or friends.
The casts have all been decorated by local artists.
A project run by Suffolk Breakthrough Breast Cancer, proceeds from the exhibition will support the charity.
As well as raising funds the project organisers hope it will encourage women to get themselves checked for breast cancer.
The casts were unveiled at The Apex, in Bury St Edmunds, yesterday, and will remain on show there until Tuesday.
From then four casts will remain on display at the venue throughout October, with the others going on show at various businesses around the town before being auctioned off online.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 5 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
Keri Bird, 26, of Birds Body Casting who is behind the project, said: “The launch went excellently and the responses from the models, artists and dignataries were amazing.
“Breast cancer is a negative topic and a sensitive subject for those affected by it, but the courage of the women who have taken part is amazing and the project has been so positive.
“It was an emotional experience for both the models who had not seen the casts decorated by complete strangers to them, and for the artists to meet the women and hear their stories. They have all been so open about their experience.”
To find out where the other casts are on show visit the Bird Body Casting website.