Bury St Edmunds student Emily Mason spreads happiness with her ‘lovely’ notes
- Credit: Archant
A student from Bury St Edmunds has been bringing a little cheer into people’s everyday lives through anonymous messages of support.
Emily Mason, 18, initially started leaving the notes around her school, King Edward VI in Bury, to help her fellow students through the exam period, but then she spread her messages wider into the local community.
Emily, from Plovers Way, has been placing them around her neighbourhood and Cullum Road, and has even had a few messages back in return.
The student, who hopes to study environmental sciences at university, said she was inspired by Jodi Ann Bickley’s book ‘One Million Lovely Letters’. The book follows the author’s own story of ill health and depression and how she started writing letters to tell people they are not alone.
Emily said: “When you leave one you just feel so much happier and positive on the day. You never know who’s going to read each one which is nice.”
You may also want to watch:
The notes she left around her school focused on helping students to deal with exam stress, but the ones for the community were “quite deep,” she said.
“[They were] about sort of not giving up and always prioritising your own happiness as well and not feeling like you should let anyone else get in the way of that.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex