Bury St Edmunds: Theatre Royal fundraisers are welcomed back after going on 78 mile walk
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of pounds have been raised for a theatre after a group walked from London to Bury St Edmunds.
The 78-mile walk was undertaken between Friday and Sunday to raise money for the Theatre Royal in Bury.
Beginning from the capital’s Globe Theatre, the Stage to Stage trek, set the target of raising £10,000.
Although the total amount is not yet known, one of the hikers, Polly Turner, raised more than £1,500 herself.
Yesterday the group arrived back at the theatre and were greeted by its staff as well as family and friends.
You may also want to watch:
The theatre, which attracts some 90,000 visitors annually, needs at least £190,000 a year to keep it open.
Supporters of the playhouse were encouraged to take part in the final two legs of the trek from Clare to Whepstead or Whepstead to the Theatre Royal.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash