Bury St Edmunds Travellers move from St Andrews Street car park to park land on Moreton Hall
- Credit: Gregg Brown
The group of travellers have been told to leave by St Edmundsbury Borough Council or be taken to High Court.
The Travellers originally turned up at the car park, near Wilkinson, on Wednesday, and were told they were in breach of a High Court injunction covering council owned sites in the town.
The group, with eight caravans and one motorhome, told the EADT they would leave by Thursday evening, but have now pitched up on park land near Sainsbury’s, on the Moreton Hall estate.
This land is covered by the same High Court ruling and council officers have already informed the Irish Travellers that they should leave by Monday or face being prosecuted for contempt of court.
A borough spokesman said: ”We understand that the group of Travellers has moved from the car park in St Andrews Street, Bury St Edmunds, to park land on Moreton Hall and that this land is covered by our injunction.
You may also want to watch:
“This morning we have advised the Travellers that they need to move. If they are still there on Monday we can make an application to the High Court for committal proceedings for contempt of court.”
The group told the EADT on Wednesday that they were passing through and only intended to be in the area for a couple of days.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
They were camped up on a site in Ipswich previously and claimed they were unaware of the High Court injunction.
They are a different family to the Delaneys who are at a temporary site off Compiegne Way with the full permission of the borough council.