Bury St Edmunds woman makes it 17 marathons for charity in one year
- Credit: Archant
A Bury St Edmunds woman has completed her 17th marathon in just 12 months, raising money for the Diabetes UK charity.
Crossing the line at Sunday’s London Marathon, Karen Williamson marked the end an incredible fundraising journey.
Mrs Williamson has so far collected £2,167 for Diabetes UK but hopes further donations might help her raise more.
She was inspired to take on the mammoth challenge by her husband, who suffers from Type One Diabetes.
After crossing the line, she said: “What an amazing experience. I’ve been training so hard for so long now and I’m glad I did as there really is no better feeling than crossing the finish line, knowing you’ve completed an epic challenge and raised funds for such an important cause.
“It was a pleasure to be part of the Diabetes UK team and I’d just like to say a big thank you to my family and friends who have supported me throughout my training.
“I couldn’t have done it without them.”
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 3 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 9 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 10 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
Clare Allen, Diabetes UK fundraising manager for the South East, said: “We are so proud of Karen for taking on such a brilliant challenge for Team Diabetes UK and I just want to say a huge congratulations and a massive thank you to her for supporting us in such an amazing way.
“People like Karen who take on these challenges and raise money on behalf of Diabetes UK help to ensure we can carry on our aims of caring for and supporting the 3.8 million people in the UK living with diabetes.”
If you wish to sponsor Mrs Williamson visit her JustGiving page at www.justgiving.com/karen-williamson2015.
If you are feeling inspired to run next year’s London Marathon, or you want to take part in another challenge to raise money for Diabetes UK, you can go to www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Fundraising-events