Bury Town project to get �1m backing
PLANS to move a flourishing football club to a new �2million site are one step closer to reality.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council is poised to grant �1million towards a project to move Bury Town Football Club to the Moreton Hall estate.
Russell Ward, chairman of the club which won through to the Ryman Premier Division last season, said the project was moving forward quickly.
He added a meeting was planned between the club, the borough council and possible backers next week.
Currently based at Ram Meadow near Cotton Lane, in Bury St Edmunds, the ground needs �750,000 to bring it up to modern standards.
You may also want to watch:
As the site lies on land which could be earmarked for a link road from St Saviour’s roundabout to the Ram Meadow car park, there is no room for expansion.
But the club hopes to move to an 11-acre site near the Flying Fortress pub on the outskirts of town, providing two, floodlit pitches, club house, changing facilities and 5,000 capacity stadium.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
In a report to go before the borough council’s cabinet next month, it is recommended the panel approves a grant of �1 million if the other �1 million could be found through The Football Association and the Football Foundation.
Mr Ward said he could not comment until after the crunch meeting next Wednesday night.
If it goes ahead, the new facility would develop senior, junior, women’s and girls’ football teams as well as mini soccer.
The Ram Meadow site could be used for parking or a park and ride scheme.
The cabinet will consider approving the cash at its meeting on September 15.