Manager’s tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- Credit: Adnams
The manager of a coastal hotel admitted bursting into tears after achieving a sought-after industry award.
Liliane Aubourg was delighted after 35-room The Swan Hotel in Southwold became one of just 76 across the country to be awarded four red starts by AA inspectors. Hotels are graded from one star to five — with four denoting a hotel with professional standards from uniformed staff, well-appointed public areas, and a restaurant open to residents and non-residents.
“You always hope and wish for this award but only a select few hotels in England receive it. This genuinely meant the world to us all — I burst into tears of happiness when I first heard,” she said.
MORE — Pubs group pins hopes on staycationers as tier 2 status curbs recoveryThe Swan is Southwold pubs and brewing group Adnams’ flagship hotel and underwent an extensive facelift in 2017.
It lies close to Adnams’ brewing and distilling centre, and guests can enjoy its beer on tap in the hotel, along with its range of spirits. They can also enjoy a brewery or distillery tour, or even make their own gin during their stay.
Properties director Nick Attfield said the AA awards were “probably the best known, most respected and widely recognised measures of hotel standards across the UK”.
You may also want to watch:
“I am so delighted and proud that our extraordinarily amazing team at The Swan have consistently exceeded the standards and expectations of the anonymous AA Inspectors’ visits to achieve this award, highlighting the very best of the best,” he said.
He added: “2020 has been one of the most difficult years ever for our industry, so this recognition comes at a perfect time to help us celebrate the great job our waiters, cocktail shakers, coffee makers, housekeepers, butlers, receptionists, decorators, gardeners, florists, receptionists, chefs, washer-uppers and managers continue do so well each and every day.”
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 8 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
The hotel has played host to a number of high-profile guests.
In a TV commercial for VisitBritain ‘Escape the Everyday’ Autumn campaign, celebrity French maître d’hôtel Fred Sirieix reserves high praise for the service at the hotel.
“Suffolk is such a treat, especially for foodies/gourmands like me. Southwold is so perfectly British. Fish and chips, ice-creams on the pier, the chance to get out on the water to catch your dinner and watch the world go by. Magnifique,” he says.
“And in such beautiful surrounds. You must visit the Adnams Brewery – there’s a distillery, tours and the chance to make your own gin even. And for the best service head to The Swan.”