All change at Bannisters in Felixstowe after 89 years in business
- Credit: Archant
One of the oldest family business names on Felixstowe’s main shopping street has vanished after 89 years of trading in the town.
Bannisters estate agents has merged with Nicholas Estates, which already has two offices in Ipswich.
Owner Richard Bannister said: “After more than 85 years and three generations of estate agency in the town, I have decided to make the changes to the set up of the business, to enable me to focus on the growing area of my residential survey, commercial and valuation work, which is where my professional training and background has been, and at the same time introducing a new name in property to Felixstowe’s high street.”
Bannisters will continue to operate as property consultants and chartered surveyors from the first floor of the office in Hamilton Road.
The company started life in 1926 when Herbert Bannister decided to move to Felixstowe from London due to ill health, and Bloomfield & Bannister was formed, soon becoming Bannister & Co.
The company continued to trade throughout the Second World War and was then run by his son Bill Bannister, from 1959.
The business was originally located where the Post Office now stands but has been in its present location on the corner of St Andrews Road since the end of the 1950s.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Town take up option on Tyreece Simpson... plus two other youngsters update
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 8 Suffolk celebrates! Full list of county's 185 street parties for the Queen's jubilee
- 9 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 10 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
Nicholas Estates, under area director Jamie Redbond, will use their three offices to provide a service of sales and lettings across east Suffolk.