Anniversary celebrations for Ufford Park Hotel, Golf and Spa near Woodbridge
- Credit: Archant
A family-run hotel, golf and spa complex in Suffolk is nearing the end of a major refurbishment programme as it celebrates its 25th anniversary.
Ufford Park, near Woodbridge, was launched a year after husband and wife team Colin and Shirley Aldous took over a partly-completed development on which work had stalled.
The couple, who were previously involved in residential development, put their own money into the project, together with investment from another local entrepreneur, and Ufford Park opened its doors in April 1992.
The original hotel was extended in 1997 and again in 2005, to its current total of 90 bedrooms, with other additions having included extensions to the gym in 1997 (when a dance studio was also built) and 2015, two function rooms in 1998 (with capacity further expanded in 2005) and a spa in 2007.
Golfing facilities have also been expanded with a retail store and a two-storey driving range added in 2005 while last year saw the creation of a new adventure golf course, in partnership with Congo Rapids, designed to appeal to a new generation of visitors.
You may also want to watch:
The latest investment involves a programme to refurbish the hotel bedrooms which began in 2015 and, with two-thirds of the rooms now fully modernised, is due for completion this year, together with a major refurbishment of the hotel’s Park Restaurant which was carried out last year
Colin and Shirley Aldous officially retired from the business in 2015, with their daughter, Tarnia Robertson, taking over as managing director.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 6 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
She said: “We couldn’t be prouder of the past 25 years, or more grateful to the guests who have visited and whose support has helped us shape what we’ve become. Here’s to the next 25 years!”
A range of 25th Anniversary celebrations and promotions are planned at Ufford Park during 2017.
The hotel and its 18-hole, par-71 golf course are set in 120 acres of parkland originally created as the grounds for a mansion called Ufford Place.
The house was demolished in the middle of the last century following a fire and many of the specimen trees, which had reached the end of their life, were then cleared to make way for arable farming.
A Victorian lodge house at the entrance to the site is all that remains of the original house and park.