Annual passenger total at Stansted Airport climbs by more than 2m
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport attracted more than 2million more passengers during 2014 than in the previous 12 months, according to annual figures released today.
A total of nearly 19.98m passengers passed through Stansted’s main terminal, representing the airport’s busiest year since 2008,
The annual total of 19,978,766 represented an increase of 12% compared with 2013, making Stansted the UK’s fasted-growing airport.
And the year finished on a particularly high nore as monthly passenger traffic in December grew by 18.5% to more than 1.56million, nearly 250,000 higher than in the same month in 2013 and the airport’s busiest December since 2007.
The volume of cargo passing through the airport also continued its upward trend as December volumes increased by 30.3% over the same month last year. Total cargo tonnage for 2014 grew by 6.9% to over 226,000.
Andrew Harrison, Stansted’s managing director, said: “The past 12 months have been such an exciting period for Stansted, our staff and the millions of passengers who have used the airport.
“The significant growth in passenger numbers, including our busiest December and Christmas getaway for seven years, has seen Stansted once again become the fastest growing airport in the UK, driven by the improved commercial relationships we have successfully developed with our airline partners.
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 3 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 6 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 7 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 8 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 9 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 10 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
“We have made excellent progress on our £80m terminal upgrade and we are now well into the final phase of this project as we complete the remaining bars, restaurants, shops and a new seating area in the departure lounge. This is geared towards transforming airport services and facilities and driving greater customer improvements.
“We now look forward to building on the success of the last year during 2015 and attracting even more passengers, airlines and routes to Stansted. Flybe will soon launch new services across the UK and, in the summer, Thomas Cook will be launching long-haul flights to the USA and Mexico. The coming months will also see the opening of our new Escape passenger lounge in the terminal.
“We are determined to drive the campaign for faster and more reliable rail links between London and the region with our partners along the London-Stansted-Cambridge corridor and will continue to highlight to the Airports Commission and Government the important role Stansted will play in the UK’s aviation system over the next 10-15 years, and the critical importance of making best use of this existing capacity.”