Two new Colchester housing developments on the way
- Credit: Barefoot and Gilles
An important milestone has been reached for Colchester Borough Council’s (CBC) new private housing development company, Colchester Amphora Homes Ltd, with the appointment of an architect to deliver the designs for the first phase of developments in the town.
Ipswich architects Barefoot & Gilles have been selected to design two new housing developments in Colchester on sites at Military Road in New Town and Creffield Road in Lexden, following a competitive process,
The proposed schemes are on brownfield sites, in areas also designated for residential use, therefore making a significant contribution to local area regeneration.
Having previously worked on Amphora Place (Sheepen Road) for CBC (now the offices of Birkett Long Solicitors), Barefoot & Gilles submitted high-quality proposals which, together with their experience and local and regional knowledge, made them the perfect choice for CAHL, said a spokesman.
Key considerations for the new developments will focus on providing a high-quality mix of private homes and affordable rented properties, with sustainable, environmentally-friendly design and specification for Colcestrians, in desirable locations close to the centre of town, and providing excellent access to local amenities.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Nick Barlow, Portfolio Holder for Commercial Services and Chair of Colchester Commercial Holdings Ltd said: “The initial phase of developments by CAHL will provide top quality homes in our town, desirable places where people will enjoy living.
“High quality building design is an intrinsic part of that and we look forward to working with Barefoot & Gilles Architects to deliver this important scheme for the people of Colchester.”
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Why you should be heading to Beach Street this Saturday
Roger Gilles, director of Barefoot & Gilles said: “We’re delighted and excited to be a part of this significant initiative by Colchester Amphora Homes Limited and are looking forward to working with this new company to produce exemplary housing.
“We are confident that this initiative will provide a successful model for the delivery of good quality open market and affordable housing.”
The initial designs are expected later in 2018, in readiness for a planning submission.