Boost for airport coach links
WORK has started on the next phase of a new £2.5million bus and coach terminal at Stansted Airport. The new “Public Transport Interchange” (PTI) is intended to strengthen Stansted's status as the UK's leading airport for public transport use by both passengers and staff.
WORK has started on the next phase of a new £2.5million bus and coach terminal at Stansted Airport.
The new “Public Transport Interchange” (PTI) is intended to strengthen Stansted's status as the UK's leading airport for public transport use by both passengers and staff.
It will replace the existing bus and coach station, offering improved facilities including additional ticket desks, a 136-seat waiting room, a new coffee bar and real-time information boards for bus and coach services.
The PTI, which has been designed by leading architects Foster and Partners, also responsible for the main terminal building at Stansted, will also include an overarching canopy, built from similar materials to the Eden Project.
You may also want to watch:
A full programme of bus and coach services will be in operation throughout the construction period, with temporary facilities including ticket offices, a waiting room and toilets being provided to keep disruption to a minimum.
Nicola Hooper, BAA Stansted's head of transport, said: “In recent years we have seen that travellers are increasingly choosing to make their journeys to the airport by bus and coach and the industry has responded by improving both service frequency and the range of destinations.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 3 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
“It is extremely important that we continue to provide high quality facilities to meet this demand as bus and coach services play an important part in Stansted's wider surface access strategy.
“Stansted already has the highest public transport mode share of all UK airports, and third highest in Europe, and this new facility will increase capacity to allow up to five million travellers a year to use bus and coach to get to and from the airport,” she added.
“With plans for the future identifying a wide range of new and enhanced services to serve the airport, local community and the wider region, the PTI development will significantly improve the passenger experience and help attract even more travellers to public transport in the years ahead.”