Boxford-based juice company Konings UK links up with schools to mark Apple Day
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at four primary schools in south Suffolk will this week be receiving a reminder from fruit juice firm Konings UK of the importance of the local apple crop.
The company, based at Boxford, is sending out around 800 bottles of apple juice to Boxford Primary School, Nayland Primary School, St Gregory CEVCP School, Sudbury, and Stoke-by-Nayland Primary School under an established agreement marking Apple Day, which this year takes place on Saturday, October 21.
Apple Day, founded in 1990, seeks to celebrate the longstanding importance of the fruit in lives and diets of Britons, and its associations with the countryside.
Phil Clark, site lead at Boxford, said: “Our part of the county is dominated by orchards and the fresh fruit and juice sector is an important contributor to the local economy. Therefore, we think it important to raise a glass to the apple at this time of year.”
Dave Smyth, Konings UK’s chief taster, said the Boxford operation uses 25 different apple varieties during the year, many of them grown locally.
“This time of the year, with the harvest in full swing, is the perfect opportunity to reflect on the deliciousness of our local produce,” he said. “We’ve just finished pressing the early harvest varieties like Discovery and Worcesters and are moving on to the Cox Orange Pippin, which is my personal favourite.
“I’m also always pleased to see the Sturmer Pippin come in. This is a variety which originated in 1827 in the village of Sturmer near Haverhill on the Suffolk-Essex border and is still widely grown locally.”
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 8 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR