British Airways to extend operations from Stansted into winter
- Credit: Archant
British Airways is expanding its operations from Stansted, less than three months after the launch of its first services from the airport.
BA is introducing a new route to the French Alpine city of Chambery, and extending its Berlin service from Stansted throughout the winter.
The airline began flying from Stansted in May with routes to Faro, Ibiza and Malaga. The launch of the Berlin route followed in June, with all of the services originally intended to operate summer-only, until the end of October.
Demand for the Malaga route was such that frequency was doubled to two flights every Saturday during August, even before the service started over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend.
And now BA has announced that flights to Malaga and Faro will be extended until November 20, with the Berlin route continuing throughout the winter.
You may also want to watch:
The new twice-weekly service to Chambery will start on December 16. Chambery is a gateway to many of the popular Alpine ski resorts, with Meribel is just 60 miles away, Courcheval 69 miles and La Plagne 75 miles.
Luke Hayhoe, British Airways’ general manager, commercial and customer, said: “Our flights from Stansted have proved so popular with customers that we wanted to continue flying through the winter.
- 1 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 2 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 3 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 6 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 7 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 8 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 9 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 10 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
“The introduction of the new service to Chambery also gives skiers and winter sports enthusiasts a gateway to one of the best Alpine snow regions direct from their doorstep.”
Mats Sigurdson, Stansted’s aviation director, said: “It’s fantastic news for passengers that British Airways will continue to offer flights during the winter season to Berlin plus launch an exciting new route to Chambery to serve the Alpine ski resorts of France.
“The announcement is a real vote of confidence in Stansted and recognition of the strong demand that exists across the region and will provide passengers with even more opportunities to fly from their local airport this winter.”
BA’s flights from Stansted are operated by its wholly-owned subsidiary BA CityFlyer.
Although BA-branded passenger flights had never operated from Stansted until this year, its former low-cost operation Go, which it launched in 1998 but sold three years later, was based at Stansted. Go was later acquired by easyJet.