Bromeswell: The British Larder scoops RSPCA animal welfare award
A SUFFOLK eatery has been honoured by an animal charity for its sustained efforts to ensure the food it serves has been ethically sourced.
The British Larder, in Bromeswell, near Woodbridge, has won the Independent Pubs Category of the RSPCA Good Food Business Awards 2012.
The venue has received a string of praise this year and the latest accolade comes hot off the heels of winning Best Food Pub of the Year 2012 in The Great British Pub Awards.
Chef Madalene Bonvini-Hamel, who runs The British Larder with Ross Pike, said: “We find that our customers are increasingly more interested in where their food comes from.
“So much so in fact, that our ‘field to fork’ dining events are always sold out. We are keen to encourage this interest.
You may also want to watch:
“If more people were concerned about where their food came from, farmers and suppliers would have to ensure that animal husbandry standards conformed to higher welfare standards.”
Geoff Spriegel, RSPCA judge and independent food consultant, congratulated The British Larder for putting animal welfare at the heart of its business practice. “We have seen the tide turning in recent years, as better welfare food becomes more common and affordable,” he added.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
The RSPCA Business Awards have been running since 2005 and recognise those in the food industry who promote animal welfare by sourcing ingredients in an ethical way.