Bury St Edmunds: Burger King could open in the Arc
A new fast-food restaurant may open in Bury St Edmunds in a shopping centre unit which has never been filled.
Plans for a Burger King outlet have been submitted to St Edmundsbury Borough Council for unit 35 of the Arc shopping centre.
The premises, in St Andrew’s Street South, have been vacant since the opening of the Arc in spring 2009.
A statement submitted with the planning application said the change of use from shop to restaurant, cafe and hot food takeaway would enable Burger King to occupy the unit, providing up to 20 jobs.
Business leaders said the addition to St Andrew’s Street South would improve the street, which has been labelled the “ugliest” in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Colin Roberts, Arc centre manager, said: “We are absolutely thrilled with it.
“It’s a very, very good use for that particular unit in that location. It will help to enliven that part of St Andrew’s Street South, and I think everyone knows my views on that street.”
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 5 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 9 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
- 10 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
Mark Cordell, chief executive of business group Bid4Bury, said: “It will help improve the look of the street, which has been labelled the ugliest street in the town, and providing Burger King takes sufficient steps to ensure the area outside their shop remains tidy and is litter-free, it’s a good thing.”