Bury St Edmunds: Greene King celebrates bumper haul of 10 Monde Selection quality awards
- Credit: Archant
Pubs and brewing group Greene King is celebrating a haul of 10 awards for its beers in this year’s Monde Selection quality awards.
Monde Selection, which is based in Belgium, tests consumer goods from around the world, awarding Bronze, Silver, Gold and Grand Gold quality labels to those rated most highly by its judges.
Bury St Edmunds-based Greene King has this year received eight Gold and two Silver labels for its ales, following on from its success last year when it won Gold for Greene King IPA Gold and a top Grand Gold award for Greene King IPA Reserve.
This year’s Gold label winners are Abbot Ale, Abbot Reserve, Old Golden Hen, St Edmunds, Strong Suffolk, Double Hop Monster, Yardbird and Belhaven Black, with Silver awards going to Noble and Belhaven Twisted Thistle.
The judging process involved “blind” tastings by a panel of more than 70 independent judges, ranging from brewing engineers to Michelin starred chefs.
You may also want to watch:
Only products receiving an average score of at least 60% receive an award, with an average of 90% or more required for a Grand Gold label, 80% for a Gold, 70% for a Silver and 60% for a Bronze.
Winners are allowed to display the label on the packaging of the relevant product for a period of three years.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 4 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 5 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 6 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 7 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 8 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 9 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
- 10 Busy high street taped off by police
Chris Houlton, managing director of Greene King Brewing and Brands, said: “Once again, these awards clearly demonstrate our commitment to quality and the care and attention we put into crafting our beers.
“We are delighted that so many of our ales have won such high praise, including new launches from our new craft range such as Yardbird and Double Hop Monster. It also confirms the quality of our much loved beers such as Abbot Ale and Old Golden Hen.”
Greene King, a member of the EADT/EDP Top100 list of the 100 largest businesses in Suffolk and Norfolk, brews most of its beers in Bury but also has a second brewery at Dunbar in Scotland.
This year’s Monde Selection Awards will be presented during a ceremony in Bordeaux, France, on May 31.