Bury St Edmunds: Greene King celebrates bumper haul of 10 Monde Selection quality awards
- Credit: Archant
Pubs and brewing group Greene King is celebrating a haul of 10 awards for its beers in this year’s Monde Selection quality awards.
Monde Selection, which is based in Belgium, tests consumer goods from around the world, awarding Bronze, Silver, Gold and Grand Gold quality labels to those rated most highly by its judges.
Bury St Edmunds-based Greene King has this year received eight Gold and two Silver labels for its ales, following on from its success last year when it won Gold for Greene King IPA Gold and a top Grand Gold award for Greene King IPA Reserve.
This year’s Gold label winners are Abbot Ale, Abbot Reserve, Old Golden Hen, St Edmunds, Strong Suffolk, Double Hop Monster, Yardbird and Belhaven Black, with Silver awards going to Noble and Belhaven Twisted Thistle.
The judging process involved “blind” tastings by a panel of more than 70 independent judges, ranging from brewing engineers to Michelin starred chefs.
Only products receiving an average score of at least 60% receive an award, with an average of 90% or more required for a Grand Gold label, 80% for a Gold, 70% for a Silver and 60% for a Bronze.
Winners are allowed to display the label on the packaging of the relevant product for a period of three years.
- 1 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 4 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 5 A14 lane closure in Bury St Edmunds after two-car crash
- 6 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
- 7 'The children were buzzing' - Ed Sheeran sends video to Suffolk school
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 9 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 10 Suffolk market town will lose its Post Office in June
Chris Houlton, managing director of Greene King Brewing and Brands, said: “Once again, these awards clearly demonstrate our commitment to quality and the care and attention we put into crafting our beers.
“We are delighted that so many of our ales have won such high praise, including new launches from our new craft range such as Yardbird and Double Hop Monster. It also confirms the quality of our much loved beers such as Abbot Ale and Old Golden Hen.”
Greene King, a member of the EADT/EDP Top100 list of the 100 largest businesses in Suffolk and Norfolk, brews most of its beers in Bury but also has a second brewery at Dunbar in Scotland.
This year’s Monde Selection Awards will be presented during a ceremony in Bordeaux, France, on May 31.