Bury St Edmunds: Opening of new Aldi store creates 35 new jobs
- Credit: Archant
Budget supermarket chain Aldi today celebrated the launch of its 500th store as it opened a new branch in Bury St Edmunds.
A queue of shoppers built up outside the Newmarket Road store ahead of opening time with the company offering a “golden envelope” for the first 100 customers, contaiing tickes to win prizes including a 40-inch HD-ready TV, a 23-inch TV and a portable DVD player.
The new store, which includes an 85-space car park, will carry around 1,350 product lines, including electrical items as well as food and drink.
Today’s opening celebrations also include free bacon and sausage sandwiches from its fresh meat range and sampling of a range of products.
Aldi has also made a donation to support the Bury St Edmunds firework display on Saturday. November 2 in the Abbey Gardens, and will be hosting a face painter and balloon modeller at the store during the day on Saturday to entertain younger customers.
You may also want to watch:
Aldi, named Supermarket of the Year for two years running by consumer watchdog Which?, has recorded strong growth during 2013 while increasing its market share.
It has already opened a number of stores across eastern England so far this year, with more due to follow in the coming months. The opening of the Bury St Edmunds store has created 35 jobs.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 9 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 10 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
Aldi area manager Azzura Reid said: “After much anticipation, we’re extremely pleased to be opening Aldi’s 500th store in Bury St Edmunds.
“We’re looking forward to welcoming customers into our new store and demonstrating how they will be able to swap and save with Aldi. In addition to the 100 golden tickets on offer, we’ll also be providing a free breakfast-buffet and entertainment for shoppers, and so we’re preparing for a great turnout on opening day.”
The stores opending hours will be 8am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday.