Bury St Edmunds: Owner of Curry’s Service Centre hits out at road closure

Brian Curry is angered that Cadney Lane in Bury remains closed after repairs in Cannon Street. Brian

Brian Curry is angered that Cadney Lane in Bury remains closed after repairs in Cannon Street. Brian's shop, Curry's Service Centre, in Cannon Street, has had its trade affected by the closure. - Credit: Archant

A business which has been around for 180 years says its trade is down after a road nearby was closed without prior warning.

Brian Curry is the fifth generation of his family to run Curry’s Service Centre, which has been based in Cannon Street, Bury St Edmunds, for just over 50 years.

He said he could not understand why Cadney Lane - which is a key route by car to the shop - had been closed last Friday when work to repair a technical fault was actually taking place in Cannon Street.

Mr Curry said the business’s trade was down by at least half currently due to the closure.

He said as the firm, with services including shoe repairs and engraving, relied on people getting there by car as they are based outside the town centre. “We have a business to run and I would like to get things back to how they should be,” he said.

Mr Curry, who runs the business with his son Andrew, said he had been told he would not be in line for any compensation.

A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks said: “We are sorry to hear that our customer has been inconvenienced by work to repair a fault in an underground cable in Cadney Lane, Bury St Edmunds.

Most Read

“This vital work by UK Power Networks followed a power interruption to about 40 customers in the area on Friday. Our work to repair the cable and return the network to its usual reliable state was carried out on Friday evening and was completed the following day.

“We then asked our contractors to arrange for the road to be reinstated and re-opened as soon as possible.”

She added: “We always aim to keep disruption to a minimum where our work is being carried out and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

The road reopened on Tuesday.